My new Sub Categories widget is now available from the WordPress plugin directory. Yes there are others widgets that list sub categories but none that had the features I wanted – so I wrote a new one.
These are the main features:
- Coded in the new widget class
- Can add as many widgets as you like
- Can select from parents that have no posts
- Can use the parent category name as the title or fill in something different
- Can link the title to the parent category or not
- Option to show the number of posts in each sub – category if you like
- Option to exclude empty sub-categories from the list.
All in all a handy little widget if your site categorizes content in this way.
You can see it working on this site in the footer – two widgets displaying posts for plugins and themes. Here I’ve included all sub-categories, posts counts, used the parent category as the title but not linked to that category.
Let me know how you like it and if you’d like any features added.